ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Mascot Banner question (OP updated 7/16/11)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

microgamer2vs2 wrote:
Edit: though now that I look at it, I should change my avatar...Asholette had some potential, but she fails in general...trying to match a rainbow colored banner is tough...

Just go with no avatar. I've now avoided every problem discussed in this thread.
bballcenter7  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouzo wrote:
Unless you are able to somehow contact the original graphic maker (cinder), I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

cinder wrote:
yes, they go by total post count. Just like Guitar Hero, "Guitar God" is the final milestone. There is one special rank I created though, and you need to be an insanely unique character to get that rank.

*Takes pipe out of mouth, and in an old-timey British accent says* By George, a clue!

ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballcenter7 wrote:
Ouzo wrote:
Unless you are able to somehow contact the original graphic maker (cinder), I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

cinder wrote:
yes, they go by total post count. Just like Guitar Hero, "Guitar God" is the final milestone. There is one special rank I created though, and you need to be an insanely unique character to get that rank.

*Takes pipe out of mouth, and in an old-timey British accent says* By George, a clue!

Well that's interesting. I don't think it really explains the differing width, because the "unique"-ness of the Mascot banner is in the colors and the lack of shields, not the width (which is exactly the same as the rectangles in all the other ranks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia wrote:
The term mascot – defined as a term for any person, animal, or object thought to bring luck – colloquially includes anything used to represent a group with a common public identity, such as a school, professional sports team, society, military unit, or brand name.

Here's why. All the other ranks are some sort of person-y thing (Guitar God, Rocker, what have you) but this rank is a representation. I think that in the early days it represented the best of what ScoreHero had to offer.

Thus, the shields were not necessary since it's like a mascot in anything else - colorful, fun, typically not in danger, thus not requiring a shield.

Maybe it's an odd way to say why us Mascots don't have shields around our rectangles, but I can live with it if the OP can.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
inv4der  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my thing is, the rectangle could quite easily sized up to 135 pixels wide, so why not do that? (Not adding shields)

I just want to know why it has no shields/is less than 135 pixels.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe cinder didn't think about the significance behind the shields, and just realized that rainbow shields look lame.

I don't think the rectangle is sized up to 135 pixels because there simply isn't a huge demand to have it bigger, and there isn't any real problems with it being the way it is other than personal preference.

In my opinion, the entire forum rank system should be reworked, considering so many of us have Free Bird or Mascot rankings that any significance behind it has been washed away by the sheer number of people with the rank. Perhaps the Free Bird banner should be sized into a regular sized banner, like Guitar God, so we can have a new uber-rank. Maybe cinder was right, and maybe everyone should have Guitar God as the highest rank, with Mascots being an award for being a great user.

*shrugs*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

microgamer2vs2 wrote:
If the question stems from the problem of your avatar matching with the rank banner width, I say, why not make your avatar a bit smaller to match? or get a asymmetric one, or an avatar without defined edges, so people wouldn't notice the length difference as much?

Edit: though now that I look at it, I should change my avatar...Asholette had some potential, but she fails in general...trying to match a rainbow colored banner is tough...

I think I got it pretty well!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ActAppalled16
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graf wrote:
Maybe cinder was right, and maybe everyone should have Guitar God as the highest rank, with Mascots being an award for being a great user.

That's just going to raise a lot of questions:

What kind of behavior defines a mascot? If you fall out of good habits, can you have it stripped from you? Who gets to make promotions? What if you're a very helpful user, but no one seems to notice you?

I'm not against changing the system, I just think that it should continue to be done by post count, as it is a much simpler system. Because if it's not done by post count, I think that the only way to give out mascot ranks would be the creation of a new user group, which I believe would make JCirri solely responsible for maintaining it (I think - I'm not sure if any mods have limited access to the Admin CP - obviously).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see too much of a problem with the shorter mascot banner to be honest. But as others have commented, maybe we should get further levels (4k, 7k, 10k?)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
Graf wrote:
Maybe cinder was right, and maybe everyone should have Guitar God as the highest rank, with Mascots being an award for being a great user.

That's just going to raise a lot of questions:

1) What kind of behavior defines a mascot?
2) If you fall out of good habits, can you have it stripped from you?
3) Who gets to make promotions?
4) What if you're a very helpful user, but no one seems to notice you?

1) Good, non-postwhore, helpful-to-new users behavior. I would think that as a mascot, you are someone who is willing to help out those who need it; you also (by the time you reach 1000 posts in the current system) should know the rules fairly well.

2) Clearly; see permarockering as what happens.

3) I would think those mods that, before the rearrangement, were "Senior Moderators", as well as JCirri of course, can make promotions. I don't see this as being a job for the average user, nor for (no offense to new mods) newly promoted mods, since they'll have less experience with what defines a good user. That raises the question "how long do you have to be a mod until you get this power", however.

4) That's too bad. Honestly, there are plenty of users who would have the capacity to be moderators, but they're not chosen; it sucks, but that's life. There are so many users these days that it would indeed be difficult to identify the best ones, but I think exemplary users tend to make themselves stand out in some way anyway.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
mattyboy11  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:

3) I would think those mods that, before the rearrangement, were "Senior Moderators", as well as JCirri of course, can make promotions. I don't see this as being a job for the average user, nor for (no offense to new mods) newly promoted mods, since they'll have less experience with what defines a good user. That raises the question "how long do you have to be a mod until you get this power", however.

Perhaps we could have "democracy" in the sense that the users decide who is a mascot. Something like a button that you click if you think the user is worthy of being a mascot (disabling the option of click yourself obviously), and perhaps we can have going the other way around, deciding "bad" users. But I think that should be more of a decision on the mods part.

YouTube Account
iimeanyii  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyboy11 wrote:
this1neguy wrote:

Perhaps we could have "democracy" in the sense that the users decide who is a mascot. Something like a button that you click if you think the user is worthy of being a mascot (disabling the option of click yourself obviously), and perhaps we can have going the other way around, deciding "bad" users. But I think that should be more of a decision on the mods part.

Matt once wrote wrote:
Vote all you want, this isn't a Democracy"

*Rests his case*

This idea has been mentioned before, sort of similar to message boards karma rating.
3starmaster  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait Rocker is like some weird banhammer logo? I'm really confused about that
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocker is the first level you get, up until 10(?) posts. Permarockering is a punishment: you get stuck with the Rocker banner, no matter how many posts you may have. Notice people like TheThirdDay and YodavSidious who have thousands of posts but are stuck with the Rocker label.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has now become quite obvious to me, and as such it actually has started to bother me. I mean, it makes sense that the two other banners that aren't 135 pixels wide are smaller, since one is a low ranking banner, and the other is received as a punishment (Young Gun and Rocker respectively). However, Mascot is neither of those, and yet it is still smaller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: